Homemade Caramel Apples
Homemade Caramel Apples are that magical mix of fresh, crisp apples and sweet, warm caramel sauce. Making them at home is a tasty treat with a side of fun!
Full confession: October makes me nostalgic for flannel.
Thing is, in Los Angeles, the weather is blazing hot through October: 100+ temps every day. Endless sunshine. No clouds. No, I’m not complaining, but when my Facebook feed fills with people wearing flannel and picking apples while frost-tipped grass crunches beneath their booted feet… I feel a little nostalgic.
And then, I perk up and make Homemade Caramel Apples!
To clean the apples, scrub them briskly but carefully in hot water and set aside to dry completely. I like to choose both red and green apples for both varying color and taste. Red Delicious apples are sweet like the caramel sauce while Granny Smith have a tart bite. All types of apples will be delicious here, so go wild at your local orchard (or grocery store). I used chopsticks for the handles in my apples although Popsicle sticks work just fine, too.
Find my easy recipe for Homemade Caramel Sauce at the end of this post. Make a batch and keep it warm. If you’d rather not have your guests hovering over your stovetop during the caramel-dipping process, transfer the sauce to a crockpot in advance and keep an eye on the consistency so it stays warm and pliable.
Arrange a variety of tasty and colorful toppings such as coated chocolate candies, crushed pretzels, toasted shredded coconut, chopped nuts, sliced almonds, chocolate chips, and sprinkles. There are no rules and the sky is the limit, so choose your favorites and get creative!
Once you have swirled an apple into the warm caramel sauce, you’ll only have about 30 seconds to apply the topppings before the caramel begins to set. Working quickly, roll the caramel-covered apple into a bowl or on to a plate full of the desired topping. Set aside on wax paper coated with nonstick spray and cool until set.
Perfect for a fall party or Halloween, DIY Caramel Apples are sure to please. With very little work on your part, you can put together a gorgeous activity that doubles as a delicious treat, sure to please kids of all ages!
Save this Homemade Caramel Apples to your “Desserts” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
Homemade Caramel Apples
Yield: 12 servings
- ½ cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk.
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 12 chopsticks or Popsicle sticks
- 12 apples, washed and dried
- Assorted toppings such as sliced almonds, chopped nuts, candy pieces, toasted shredded coconut, sprinkles, and crushed pretzels.
- Line a baking sheet or a large cutting board with wax paper and coat with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in sugars, corn syrup, and salt.
- Bring a boil and stir in sweetened condensed milk.Boil until the caramel reaches the firm-ball stage, 248°F on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, insert sticks into apples. Dip each apple into the hot caramel mixture, rotating until evenly coated, and immediately roll in toppings as desired. Arrange on wax paper and cool until set.