Chicken Salad Sandwich with Kohlrabi
Whether you bought kohlrabi for love or it showed up uninvited, put it to work in my classic Chicken Salad Sandwich, now updated with crunchy kohlrabi!
There was a time when I could only get kohlrabi in a CSA box. It seemed somewhat exotic and I usually just peeled it, cut it into sticks, and ate it. I would silently congratulate myself on my adventurous eating.
These days, kohlrabi is at regular grocery stores too. If you’ve never eaten it before, you’re in for a real treat. It’s kind of like eating very mild cabbage in the form of a carrot stick. Wait, that’s NOT your ideal food? ;) Okay, then carry on turning it into a chicken salad sandwich. It ends up on a croissant, and I’m pretty sure that’s on your list of favorite things to eat.
Chicken salad can quickly become an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink-situation with cashews, almonds, grapes, dried cranberries, curry powder, and/or avocado, but this version sticks to the classics. Leftover rotisserie chicken is ideal here, but you can also quickly poach your chicken in a skillet.
- ⅓ c. mayonnaise
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. celery seed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. chopped or shredded cooked chicken
- 1 small kohlrabi bulb, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, celery seed, ¼ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper.
- Stir in chicken, kohlrabi, and celery. Toss until evenly coated.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and chill at least 20 minutes to blend flavors.