After making Easy Skillet Poached Chicken the other day, I immediately had to make and eat a whole bowl of chicken salad. That was the driving factor behind the Easy Skillet Poached Chicken, after all. I didn’t have any celery and there wasn’t time to track some down. I did, however, have kohlrabi. I didn’t have any onions, but I had scallions. There are as many varieties of chicken salad as there are makers of chicken salad, and so Chicken Salad with Kohlrabi and Scallions was created.
For the dressing, I started with mayonnaise (you may substitute light) and whisked in fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper, and celery seed. Yes, celery seed is special here, possibly because there is no actual celery. The savory flavor goes so well with the mayonnaise and the chicken and I think you’ll be very pleased with the taste. A little fresh parsley completes the recipe for its mild flavor and bright color.
And that’s basically it! Other chicken salads add in all kinds of ingredients such as cashews, grapes, curry powder, or fresh herbs, but this version sticks to the basics. Feel free to change up the recipe as you see fit based on what you like or have on hand. If you have the willpower, spread it on bread and make a sandwich, but I won’t mind if you eat it straight out of the bowl.
- ⅓ c. mayonnaise or light mayonnaise
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. celery seed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. chopped or shredded cooked chicken
- 1 small kohlrabi bulb, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 T. minced fresh parsley
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, celery seed, ¼ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper.
- Stir in chicken, kohlrabi, scallions, and parsley. Toss until evenly coated.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and chill at least 20 minutes to blend flavors.